7 Things You Should Know Before Getting Dental Implants
For years, dentures and bridges have been the only treatment options for missing teeth. Today, you have a more convenient method-dental implants.
Dental implants are devices that replace your teeth roots. They do so by providing a solid foundation upon which replacement teeth that match your teeth colour can be attached.
Reasons for Tooth Loss
There are several reasons why you may lose your teeth. They include:
- Advanced tooth decay
- Accidents that may result to fractures
- Inflammation of the supporting tissues of your tooth
- Systemic diseases
- Some medications and treatments
Advantages of Dental Implants
What is the upside of dental implants?
- Improved Appearance: Because they have the feel and appearance of your natural teeth, implants improve your smile. Also, they fuse with the jawbone, thus becoming a permanent part of your oral cavity.
- Improved Speech: People with poor-fitting dentures may have slurred or mumbled speech because their teeth can slip. This isn’t the case with dental implants as they improve your speech and you do not have to worry about them slipping.
- Improved Comfort: Implants become a permanent part of you, so the discomfort of removable dentures is eliminated.
- Easier Eating: With sliding dentures, chewing can be quite difficult. Implants on the other hand work like your natural teeth, making it possible for you to enjoy your favorite delicacies painlessly and confidently.
- Improved Self-respect: If your confidence had been shattered by tooth gaps, dental implants can bring it back. After the procedure, you will wear your smile more.
- Improved Dental Health: Unlike dental bridges, implants do not require you to reduce the remaining teeth. When the implant is fixed, the surrounding teeth are in no way altered to offer it support. This way, your natural teeth remain intact, thus your oral health is improved in the long run. Also, individual implants allow you to easily access the spaces between teeth thus your oral hygiene is improved.
- Durability: Implants are built to last a lifetime. When properly taken care of, they can give you long years of servitude.
- Convenience: No cosmetic dentistry procedure screams convenience like dental implants. First, you won’t have to deal with the embarrassment of removing them before eating at parties. Also, because they are a part of you, you won’t forget to wear them.
Dental Implants Success Rates
The success rates vary depending on their location but generally, implants have a 98 percent success rate. If properly taken care of, they may never need replacements.
Who Can Get Implants?
Eligible candidates should:
- Be healthy enough to undergo oral surgery or dental extractions
- Have healthy gums
- Have sufficient gum tissue to support the implant
- Make regular visits to the dentist’s
- Practice good oral hygiene habits
Insurance Cover for Dental Implants
Depending on the underlying cause of tooth loss, some medical plans cover dental implants. Before you go in for the procedure, ensure you consult both your insurance provider and dentist.
Can Smoking Affect The Procedure?
Smoking is a major contradiction to the dental implant procedure. Our dentist at El Dorado Hills Town Center Dental recommends quitting smoking to ensure the treatment is a success. Smoking delays the healing process and may also compromise the osseointegration phase. Besides, it also shortens the lifecycle of dental implants.
Is There An Age Limit To The Procedure?
Provided one is an eligible candidate, they can comfortably undergo this procedure despite of their age. However, children under the age of 18 are advised not to go for this procedure as it requires a fully-developed jaw.
How Long Will The Treatment Take?
The dental implant procedure involves a preliminary examination and prosthesis insertion. It may last for four months to one year depending on the treatment scope.
Is The Procedure Painful?
Because our dental implant specialist will administer local anesthesia to you, you will feel no pain throughout the procedure. It is common to feel some pain after the treatment though. Pain-relievers bought over-the-counter can help deal with this after-effect.
Life after Dental Implants
After getting dental implants in El Dorado Hills, CA, you should continue practicing optimal oral hygiene habits for their longevity. If neglected, they will be more susceptible to infections than your natural teeth.